Hexbyte – Glen Cove – News
- It’s a cruel world out there.
- Just take a gander at this: An alligator was photographed with a snake in its jaw.
- Linda Waring, the Florida-based photographer who saw it, told INSIDER that the “snake was giving it his all to escape,” but he could not.
- She said the epic battle between the animals lasted 10 minutes.
- The photos, however, will last a lifetime.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
It’s a cruel world out there. If “there” is Lakeland, Florida.
On Saturday, Linda Waring and her husband Jesse were walking through Circle B Bar Reserve along a path called “Alligator Alley” when they caught sight of something out of the ordinary.
Linda told INSIDER when the couple was walking Jesse heard a splash and went to check out hte source. That’s when he saw it: An alligator with a snake in its mouth.
Luckily, they are professional photographers who run Birdwalk Photography and had equipment on hand. Linda was able to snap pictures of the chance encounter.
All told, the pictures are glorious, but the story behind the images is rather bleak. In a now-viral Facebook post, Linda described the snake as the alligator’s lunch.
“The snake was giving it his all to escape from the jaws of the gator!” Linda told INSIDER. “The gator would chomp down and close his mouth and each time it seemed like the end.”
She said the whole ordeal took about 10 minutes, and it was a thrill to watch.
“In the end, the snake finally lost the battle when the jaws of the gator made a direct hit down the length of his body,” she said. “It was a hard-fought battle!”
For aspiring nature photographers out there, Linda’s advice is simple. She says “it takes patience and persistence” to get shots like these.
But for Linda, it’s not all about the picture-perfect moment — it’s in the adventure.
“The fun is in the pursuit and just getting out in nature,” she said. “You really never know what you’re going to get!”
- Read more:
- A lost seal pup looking for food was attacked by an off-leash dog
- After a man died on a hike, his dog stayed by his side and helped rescuers find them
- Australian authorities are hoping to kill millions of feral cats with poisoned sausage
- Watch a great white shark take a chomp out of a chum bag dangling off a fishing boat in Florida